Van Nistelrooy chose Real over Bayern

Ruud van Nistelrooy has revealed he was on the verge of signing for Bayern Munich before his switch to Real Madrid in 2006.


Van Nistelrooy ended a five-year association with Manchester United in July 2006 when he moved to the Bernabeu in a €24 million deal, but it appears he had been set for a move to the Bundesliga.
“In 2006, after the World Cup, we were in very advanced negotiations about a move,” he told Bild. “If Real Madrid had not come in, I would have gone to Munich.
“It was difficult to get out of the Bayern move at that stage. I personally called up (Uli) Hoeness, apologised and said, ‘I know we have come so far, but I need to join Real’. In retrospect, the time in Madrid was a great experience in my life.”
Van Nistelrooy did move to Germany when he left Madrid for Hamburg in January. He says he is enjoying life under coach Armin Veh but, with his deal due to expire next summer, he is making no promises about staying beyond the end of the season.
“In February or March, a decision will need to be made,” he said. “At the moment, things are going well and I feel good.
“I want to wait a couple of months and then reevaluate the situation. The most important factor is how I’m feeling.”
Now 34, Van Nistelrooy is reaching the end of his playing career and says he may walk away from the game altogether when he hangs up his boots.
“I don’t expect to stay in football,” he said. “I can’t imagine working as a coach right now, but you never know. My former national team-mate Jaap Stam never intended to be a coach, and he’s now working as an assistant in the Dutch second division (at FC Zwolle).”

(Soure: soccernet.espn.go.com )

Ruud Van Nistelrooy Football and Life